Monday, October 25, 2010

The Good of Going to the Mountains, Part I



by Linda Ballou


Like the poets, painters and millions of trampers before me, I’d come to the
White Mountains of New Hampshire to rid myself of commercial chatter, pollution and to
know Mother Nature’s healing heart.

I bound up the boulder steps of the Basin-Cascade trail tracing an energetic river graced with glistening waterfalls. While navigating the twisted roots of birch trees, I chanced a look to the heavens trembling with lemon leaves rustling in a flirtatious breeze. Relishing a moment of sacred solitude while waiting for the rest of my hiking group to join me at the base of Ellis Falls, I listened to the full throated roar of the powerful white curtain of water carving a path through sheer granite. The fragrance of balsam fir and the fecund odor of the gold and amber carpet of falling leaves filled the air. Like the poets, painters and millions of trampers before me, I’d come to the White Mountains of New Hampshire to rid myself of commercial chatter, pollution and to know Mother Nature’s healing heart.

Over 600 miles of well-marked paths lace our first National Forest. These trails seduce the hiker into shady glens through lacy fern forests and to alpine climbs pocked with turquoise glacier cirques …. Read more here


Find these articles and more on Linda’s website,

The Good of Going to the Mountains was originally published in Real Travel Adventures in 2006


Join us here on Wednesday, for Part II of The Good of Going to the Mountains.

***

I walk in beauty on the good red road.

Linda Ballou




No comments:

Post a Comment