Friday, August 13, 2010

The Land That Time Almost Forgot - Sea Kayaking Adventures Day 3


Sea Kayaking Adventures

by Linda Ballou, special to Baja Magazine

Day Three

Early the next day, we headed out from Punta Baja. Just as we crested the point, we saw a blue-footed booby and a pod of about thirty dolphins. The dolphins churned past us in a steady rhythm, making a beeline up the channel. After a brisk paddle into the wind, we were gliding on shallow turquoise water again, so clear I could see to the white sand bottom.

The beach was composed of whited powdery sand, wrapped in white cliffs with fat, chalk-colored stalactites dripping from the ceiling of the sea caves. Standing on the cliffs were black cormorants with their wings spread in the sun to dry, looking like scarecrows. A deep blaze of aquamarine green, so intense it glowed like a laser beam, shot across the width of the passage.

A week of yoga before breakfast, several of hours of paddling prior to lunch, a siesta and then a swim, left me feeling amazingly fit. So when our group was challenged by another cluster of kayaks to a race across the idyllic glide to Honeymoon Cove, I was game. I poured on the steam, gave it all I had and applied all the technique I had learned that week.

Having arrived at the tranquil Honeymoon Cove, I climbed to the top of the red bluffs that sheltered it. I peered down into water so clear that from several stories up I could see schools of fish. From this perfect vantage, I let my imagination run wild wondering what treasure might have been left behind by pirates who had come to this part of the world looking for a sage harbor.

My trip sadly came to a close, but I was very happy that this unique land that time almost forgot is only a few short hours from home. "I'll be back," I promised myself.


**Author's note
If you enjoyed these Sea Kayaking Adventures be sure to purchase a copy of my book, Lost Angel Walkabout; One Traveler's Tales and join me on more journeys as I explore Glacier Bay, Alaska, Tahiti, New Zealand, Grand Tetons, Wyoming and so many more places around the world. www.lindaballouauthor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment