Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Footloose on the Big Island

Hawai'i Trails: Walks, Strolls, and Treks on the Big Island Hawai'i Trails: Walks, Strolls, and Treks on the Big Island by Kathy Morey


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is a handy guide with lots of good information and worth packing if you have a couple of weeks to spend on the Island. With less time, and wanting to get it all in one carry-on bag, I just took notes on a few walks with me. I really wanted to get to the birth place of Kamehameha the Great in Kohala. The directions almost got me there, but neglected to say that only 4 wheel drive vehicle should try to navigate the last stretch to the site which is a dirt road, and I had to turn around. The Mackenzie Beach Park trail was given a bad rap over the bathroom facilities. I thought it was incredible opportunity to stroll in solitude on a dramatic lava bluff with monster waves crashing below. This could just be a case of one woman’s ceiling is another woman’s floor. Many of the walks and hikes are concentrated in the Volcano National Park. I tried the bird walk and it was a delight. Next time, I hope to have more time to explore this lovely region and will take what is one of the best books about hikes on the Big Island available along with me.



Linda Ballou, Author of Wai-nani, High Chiefess of Hawaii




View all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment