Saturday, December 29, 2018

Taking Life at a Gallop

Aloha, My Love to You: The Story of One Who Was Born in ParadiseAloha, My Love to You: The Story of One Who Was Born in Paradise by Tempski Armine Von
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the sequel to Ms. Von Tempskie’s memoir Born in Paradise. She was an adventurous young woman born on a ranch on the flank of Haleakala Crater in 1892. This book was published two years after her passing in 1943. Her vivid descriptions of the magical isle of Maui before it became over run with tourists made me want to go back to this blissful time. She turned her family home into a guest ranch for dudes and took them on rides in up country Maui. While carrying this load she managed to write five books; two memoirs and three novels in between hosting fascinating guests from around the globe like Jack London and his wife Charmian. What an enchanting and inspiring life she shares in this book that filled my heart with warm aloha and a strong desire to return to the Islands and breathe deeply of the flower scented air.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment