Sunday, September 14, 2014

Warm Aloha for Wai-nani in Malibu


Linda and Joanie of Malibu
One of the most rewarding and fun things about sharing my writing is meeting the wonderful people who connect with my work. Joan Cate,  AKA "Joanie of Malibu" loves Wai-nani, A Voice from Old Hawaii. She sees herself swimming with Wai-nani's dolphin family. She tells me that she is enthralled by the poetic language of the book and dazzled by the sensual descriptions of ancient Hawaii and the statuesque Hawaiian people.

She loves Wai-nani so much that she is hostessing lively conversations about my historical novel at the Bank of Books in Malibu. I attended the first meeting where I shared insights in the ancient Hawaiian culture and how it is still in play today. We talked about lessons learned from the people of old. Ho'oponopono, for example is a form of mediation led by an elder that calls for all to bring an attitude or forgiveness. Family disputes dissolved during these sessions.

The next conversation will deal with how Wai-nani embodies the empowered female. Precocious  Ka'ahumanu the favorite wife of Kamehameha the Great who rose to become the most powerful woman in old Hawaii, was the inspiration for Wai-nani's character. It is very gratifying for me to share why I felt she was an overlooked heroine who deserved the spotlight.

 Thank you, "Joanie of Malibu" for spreading the good word!!

Can't make the talks? You can read Wai-nani and direct your questions to me. I have a playlist on YouTube called Book Club Answers that provide answers to the most common questions readers have about my rendering of the people of old Hawaii.
There is more to the Islands than meets the eye




No comments:

Post a Comment